Mindfulness for Preschool and Kindergarten
The OpenMind Program to Boost Social-Emotional Learning and Classroom Engagement
Monica Moore Jackman
A powerful SEL mindfulness program to help kids self-regulate, foster social and academic engagement, and bring peace back into the classroom.
As a teacher, you know that preschool and kindergarten are difficult periods of transition in kids’ lives. This is true now more than ever, as young children in our world face increasing life challenges—including adverse childhood experiences, trauma, social disconnection, systematic discrimination, and a global pandemic. Students are struggling to balance their emotions and adapt to a classroom environment, the tools outlined in this mindfulness guide can help.
Mindfulness for Preschool and Kindergarten offers an effective, adaptable, multisensory, and skills-based social emotional learning (SEL) program to help preschool and kindergarten-aged children learn to self-regulate, ensuring a peaceful and prosocial learning environment in the classroom. The hands-on OpenMind program in this book will help kids cope with stress and trauma, process and understand difficult emotions, and interact positively with others. Kids will also learn how to bounce back from challenges, build resilience, and experience greater social and academic engagement.
The OpenMind program’s five foundations go well beyond sequenced lesson plans and strategies to help promote a positive classroom experience. These include:
- Wellness and mindfulness training for teachers
- Practices to help kids build self-regulation, executive function, and engagement
- Planned practices and lessons in response to arising individual and learning environment needs that are anchored to social and academic content
- Scaffolding and modification of practices and lessons to promote learning and active mindful engagement
- A process for transforming challenging behaviors into opportunities for learning, growth, autonomy, and agency
You are on the frontlines of helping kids face some of life’s most difficult challenges, and ensuring that they feel valued, protected, and supported. The weight of this responsibility can create stress and feelings of overwhelm for you. Let this guide support both you and your young students in cultivating a loving, safe, and rewarding classroom environment—together.