Pickling, Fermenting & Salad-Making
Vegetables with More Taste & Less Waste
Alex Elliott-Howery, Sabine Spindler
85 Recipes for Enjoying Seasonal Veg!
"The latest from Elliott-Howery and Spindler (Cornersmith: Recipes from the Café and Picklery) showcases the popular Australian restaurant’s approach to fresh, seasonal ingredients with little waste."
Preserving, using up, and seasonal eating is the Cornersmith way. Since opening their neighborhood café in 2011, Alex Elliott-Howery and Sabine Spindler have been committed to sustainability, and their recipes always put veggies first. Quick recipes include roasted sweet potato and parsnip topped with feta and walnuts, or make a tabbouleh with leftover veg ahead of time for an autumnal evening.
Cornersmith reinvents everyday sides with pickled veggies which can be stored for up to six months. Here, Alex and Sabine share their passion for cooking with minimal waste. In four chapters, one dedicated to each season, Cornersmith shows us the best way to use seasonal produce, before rounding off with three salad dressing, fermenting, and pickling guides and innovative ways to use kitchen scraps, such as using fruit peel to flavor oils. These recipes aren’t about dieting, instead it is a must have for anyone interested in the food waste management trend, providing a road map for the future of food. Recipes include:
- Broad Bean & Pea Salad with Freekeh & Yogurt Sauce
- Kohlrabi, Radish & Tofu with Miso Dressing
- Pickled Asparagus with Garlic & Lemon
- Asparagus & Watercress with Walnut & Orange Vinaigrette
- Pink Pickled Eggs
- Fried Green Tomatoes with Herbed Kefir
- Rhubarb & Red Onion Relish
- Grilled Pineapple, Sea Salt, Chilli, Mint & Chimichurri
- Oven-Dried Preserved Tomatoes
- Fig & Herb Salad with Pearl Couscous, Toasted Hazelnuts & Za’atar
- Pickled Watermelon Rind
- Summer Leaves, Pickled Stone Fruit, Ricotta & Salted Almonds