Better by Design
An Introduction to Planning, Designing and Developing Library Buildings
Ayub Khan, Stella Thebridge
Drawing on the authors’ experience gained from library projects around the world, this book charts a readable path through everything from the planning of a new library, to major refurbishment, or the remodelling of a current library. It clearly explains the library design language and processes needed by professionals overseeing any project, and covers essential aspects including ensuring cost-effectiveness, eco-efficiencies, improved service and community impact meet the organisation’s objectives.
Fully revised and updated, this new edition includes coverage of:
- the need for flexible and adaptable library spaces
- the environmental impact of building design, construction and use
- the trend towards multi-use, multi-purpose buildings to serve community, cultural and educational needs
- a customer-centred approach to service delivery
- heightened focus on health and wellbeing for all stakeholders
- the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and customer access needs on the design and layout of a library
- the rapid growth of digital services.
International and cross-sectoral in scope, this book is an essential guide for library professionals or architects involved in library building, remodelling or development. It will also be a valuable reference for students of both library and architectural design.